The Third Level is part of Class 12 English Vistas Notes for Quick Revision. Here we have given Class 12 English Vistas Notes The Third Level.
The Third Level is a psychological story which refers to the subway at the grand railway station to which takes passengers to Galesburg. This subway also becomes an interconnection between the narrator’s harsh reality and fantasy.
The third level was a way of escape for Charley, life in the modern world is full of insecurities worries and stress, it takes Charley to a different world which his friend also call, “a walking dream wish fulfillment”. This is a story about Charley’s escapist tendency. The third level was started because of Sam’s letter written on July 18, 1984. The story depicts the intersection of time and space.
Charlie: 31-year-old, office goer, claims to visit the third levels
Description of the Third level
- Small room, few ticket windows and train gates, wooden and old looking information booth.
- Men had beards, sideburns, fancy moustaches
- Women wore skirts, high buttoned shoes and leg of muttons sleeves.
- A man looking at a pocket watch
- Old style locomotive with the funnel-shaped stack
- Open gaslights being used
- Brass spittoons on the floor
- Wants to visit his home town, Galesburg
- Past is quiet and peaceful
- Tries to buy two tickets to Galesburg (one ticket for his wife Louisa)
- Clerk grows suspicious as Charlie doesn’t have old-style currency.
- Back to the present-day world
People’s reaction to Charlie’s experience
- Presidents of NY railroads swear on the existence of two levels.
- Psychiatrist friend Sam refuses to believe
- Interprets it as an escape from insecurity fear, war and worry of the modern world.
- Louisa too disbelieves Charlie
Charlie’s determination to find the Third Level
- Withdraws money buys old currency worth 300 dollars.
- Fails to find the Third Level
- Louisa and Psychiatrist worried
- Sam disappears
- Charlie finds a first-day cover, never seen before
- Note from Sam dated 18th July 1894 from Galesburg
- Sam asks Charlie and Louisa to come to Galesburg and enjoy a quiet and peaceful life.
- Charlie discovers Sam had bought old currency worth 800 dollars.
- Enough to help him start hay and grain business in 1894 at Galesburg
We hope the given CBSE Class 12 English Vistas Notes The Third Level will help you. If you have any query regarding Class 12 English Vistas Notes The Third Level, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.
Class 12 English Vistas Summary
Chapter 1 The Third Level Summary
Chapter 2 The Tiger King Summary
Chapter 3 The Enemy Summary
Chapter 4 Journey to the End of the Earth Summary
Chapter 5 Should Wizard Hit Mommy? Summary
Chapter 6 On the Face of It Summary
Chapter 7 Evans Tries an O-level Summary
Chapter 8 Memories of Childhood Summary
Class 12 English Flamingo Summary
Chapter 1 The Last Lesson Summary
Chapter 2 Lost Spring Summary
Chapter 3 Deep Water Summary
Chapter 4 The Rattrap Summary
Chapter 5 Indigo Summary
Chapter 6 Poets and Pancakes Summary
Chapter 7 The Interview Summary
Chapter 8 Going Places Summary
Chapter 9 My Mother at Sixty-six Summary
Chapter 11 Keeping Quiet Summary
Chapter 12 A Thing of Beauty Summary
Chapter 13 A Roadside Stand Summary
Chapter 14 Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers Summary