Olympic Movement is part of Class 12 Physical Education Notes for Quick Revision. Here we have given Class 12 Physical Education Notes Olympic Movement.
- 1 Ancient Olympic Games
- 2 Rules of Ancient Olympic Games
- 3 Modern Olympic Games
- 4 Olympic symbols
- 5 Olympic Flame
- 6 Objectives of Olympics
- 7 Development of values through Olympics
- 8 International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- 9 Para Olympics
- 10 Indian Olympic Association
- 11 Sports Awards
- 12 Members of Committee
- 13 Executive Board
- 14 Class 12 Physical Education Notes
Ancient Olympic Games
In the Ancient time the games were held in honor of god Zeus. Since then the games were the greatest religious festival in the life of the Greeks.
There were lots of stories about the origin of Ancient Olympic games. The word Olympic is derived from Olympia a valley, where first such games were organized.
Rules of Ancient Olympic Games
- The competitor must be Greek.
- A punished person are not allowed.
- Women are not allowed.
- The competitor must stay in Olympia for a month.
- For participation, competitors have to do practice for at least one month.
Modern Olympic Games
For revival of Modern Olympic games credits goes to the Baron Pierre de Coubertin of France.
With his great effort/the first Modern Olympic games were held in Athens in 1896. There were nine countries who participated in First Olympic games.
The Olympic flag has five inter- locking rings, represented five continents of world.
The Represents the meaning of:
- Symbols of life and happiness.
- There are five rings.
- Colors are yellow, blue, green red black.
- Symbolize friendship.
- Symbol of knowledge life and happiness.
- This flame was started when the game starts and keep glowing during games.
- At end of games, flame extinguished
Objectives of Olympics
1. To develop personality, characters, citizenship among nations.
2. To develop good habits among sports persons.
3. To pay attention towards physical education and sports Competitions among countries.
4. To develop International fraternity and peace.
Development of values through Olympics
Olympics has developed following values among sports persons:
- Fair play
- Free from discrimination
- Free from drugs
International Olympic Committee (IOC)
It is the highest body which is con- trolling the Olympic games. It was formed during the International Athletic Con- gress held in Paris in June 25, 1894, With the efforts of Baron de Coubertin. The Headquarter of IOC are located in lousanne(Switzerland).
This is similar to Olympic games for disabled sports persons. In 1960 first time they were organized in Rome. The headquarter of International Para Olympic is situated at Bonn, Germany. The International Para Olympic(IPC) is responsible for organizing summer and winter Olympic games. At present it comprises of 176 National Para Olympic Committees.
Indian Olympic Association
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was formed in 1927,Mr.Dorabji Tata was its first president. The Indian Olympic Association is affiliated with International Olympic Committee. The IOA executive board consists of various members like president, Vice- president, Secretary, joint-Secretary, treasurer and state Olympic associations and representatives of national federations.
There are following awards for prestigious coaches and outstanding sports persons, given by the Govt. of India:
- Dronacharya Award – It is for the coaches who’s Athletes perform outstanding performance in International competitions. This Award was started in 1985 in the memory of Guru Dronacharya of Mahabharata. Five lakh rupees cheque, statue of Arjuna and scroll of Honor is given to the awardees.
- Arjuna Award – It is given to those sports persons for outstanding performance in International/national competitions. This Award was started in 1961.this award is given in the memory of Arjuna of Mahabharata.
- Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna Award – This award was instituted by the Rajeev Gandhi Trust in the year 1991-92. This award is given for most spectacular and outstanding performance by a sports persons. This Award is presented to one sport person from individual sports but it can be given to more than one person in case of team events. Seven lakh and fifty thousand rupees cheque , a medal and scroll of honor is given to the awardees.
- Organizational Setup of CBSE Sports – The Central Board of Secondary Education, is the highest authority to conduct games & sports tournaments at cluster, zonal and national level in various games & sports annually.
- Chacha Nehru Sports Award – This award/scholarship is started by the CBSE for talented students of class 9 to 12 for their outstanding performance in CBSE affiliated games and sports. This Award is in the form of scholarship and it motivates the students to excel in their sports activities.
Members of Committee
Function of IOC:
Class 12 Physical Education Notes
Changing Trends and Career
Physical Fitness Wellness and Lifestyle
Physical Activity Environment
Test, Measurement and Evaluation
Anatomy, Physiology and Kinesiology
Psychology and Sports
Training and Doping in Sports