Planning in Sports
Meaning and Objectives of Planning
“Planning is a way to systematize, direct and organise the events or competitions and extract the advantage and benefit of the available resources.”
- To reduce undue pressure
- To provide proper coordination among the committees.
- To have good control over all the activities.
- To improve efficiency.
- To reduce the chances of mistakes.
- To increase creativity.
- To enhance the sports performance.
- To protect existing facilities.
- Provide new facilities to meet demand.
- Helps in decision making.
Various Committees and Its Responsibilities.
Tournament – Knock Out, League Combination.
- The sportsman learns the discipline by playing tournaments.
- The sportsman meets another sportsman at a single platform.
- He learns ethical values such as honesty, fair play, respect for others.
- Tournaments provide recreation to all, i.e. organizers, spectators, students.
A. Knock out: In this type of tournament, the team once defeated, gets eliminated from the tournament. Only the winning teams contest in the next rounds. Opportunities are given to the winning players/teams.
(a) Knock out cum Knock out
(b) League cum league
(c) Knock out cum league
(d) League cum Knock out
(a) Ladder Method
(b) Physical Method
(c) Cobweb Method
Procedure to Draw Fixtures: Knock-Out League
A Knock-out Tournament:-
In this type of tournament, if a team is defeated once, it gets eliminated. Only the winners continue in the competition. It is the fastest method to know about the winning team in the tournament.
1. Total number of teams participating in the tournament
2. Total number of matches to be played in the tournament
The formula for calculating the number of matches=n-1, where n is the total number of teams participating in the tournament.
3. Total number of rounds played in the tournament depends upon two things:-
a. The number of teams playing in the tournament b
. The higher nearest number from the total number of teams of the power of two’s = 2n
a. If the number of teams is even, then the equal number of teams will be divided into both halves i.e.- n/2, where n is the total number of teams.
b. If the number of teams is odd, the following method is applied:
A number of teams in upper half=(n+1)/2, where n=number of tarns.
Number of teams in lower half=(n-1)/2, where n=number of teams
5. The number of byes is a knock-out tournament is decided by subtracting the total number of teams from the next higher nearest number in power of two’s
Solution: Total number of teams = 6
Intramurals and Extramural – Meaning, Objectives and Its Significance
Meaning of Intramurals:-
Intramural is derived from the Latin word’ Intra” and “murals’.”Intra” means “within” and “Muralis” means ‘Waif. So we can say that the activities, which are performed within the walls or within the campus of an institution , are called ‘Intramurals”
Objectives of Intramurals:-
- To provide the opportunity to every student to participate in Games and Sports
- To develop Leadership Qualities among students
- To develop Feeling of Cooperation
- To provide Recreation
- To develop the Feeling of Sports-manship
- To provide an opportunity to learn a variety of games and Skills
- To provide an opportunity to get Experience of Organisation of Competitions
- To find out talented Sportpersons
- To provide the opportunity to Develop the personality
Extramural is derived from the Latin words “Extra” and “Waif”. So, we can say that the activities which are performed outside the walls of an institution or school are known as “extramural”.
1.To provide Experience to Students
2. To improve the Standard of Sports
3. To broaden the Base of Sports
4. To develop Sportsmanship and Fraternity
5. To provide knowledge of New Rules and Advanced Techniques
Specific Sports Programme
Sports and games programmes are arranged in the world as well as in our country to promote the games and sports for a specific cause. Every country in the world has some or other cause for promoting specific sports programmes. The programmes motivate and create the feeling to take part in these sports programmes. People become health-conscious and try to remain fit and stay healthy for as long as possible. These specific sports programmes are usually organized by the federations, state government, NGO etc.to create health consciousness among the people and take part in health-related sports programmes. More and more people of all age groups should take part in such sports programmes. The various important specific programmes are:-
- Sports Day:
- School Annual Sports Day
- National Sports Day
- Health Run
- Run for Fun
- Run for Unity
- Run for Awareness
- Run for Specific Cause